In the wake of the recent terrorist attack in Manchester, malicious actors may seek to capitalise on the public’s curiosity by conducting campaigns to spread malware or to intercept charitable donations.
We have previously seen criminals capitalising on people’s interest and charitable instincts during natural disasters to spread emails purporting to provide news updates, but instead contain links or attachments that direct users to phishing or malware-infected websites.
Scammers have also used emails to request charity donations and are increasingly using text messages to persuade concerned citizens to send money or to reply to premium rate numbers. We encourage users to remain cautious when handling any email with a subject line, attachment or hyperlink related to the Manchester attack. As news of this atrocity develops in the following days, we recommend users adopt the following measures to mitigate the chances of becoming a victim:
- Do not open suspicious-looking email messages, particularly those that come from unknown senders;
- Do not download file attachments or click on links embedded in unsolicited or suspicious-looking messages;
- To read news updates on the situation, do not click on any links provided within messages, but directly access the news sites by typing in the URL;
- Do not impart any personal information or send payments to unverified senders;
- If you want to make a charitable donation, go directly to the website of a trusted organisation rather than clicking on any links in an email.
Your free Global Geopolitical Dashboard
PGI’s Risk Portal tool provides daily intelligence feeds, country threat assessments and analytical insights, enabling clients to track, understand and navigate geopolitical threats.
The Risk Portal gives users up-to-date information and analysis on global affairs.
The Risk Portal allows users to visualise information in a unique and instantly understandable way. Mapping filters enable the visualisation of incidents by threat category, time period, perpetrator and target type.
Risk Portal users can upgrade their accounts to include the Report Builder and Country Profile Generator features. The Report Builder allows users to select information, data and images from the Risk Portal and create bespoke reports and emails.
Subscribers to PGI’s Bespoke services receive tailored analysis on specific sectors and geographies of interest, delivered at a frequency they determine.
Subscribe to our Cyber Bytes Newsletter
Keep yourself in the loop with PGI by signing up to our Weekly Cyber Bytes email. You will receive updates, tips and narrative around what has been happening in the world of information security.